Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Little Freshman That Could


First off, I want to congratulate and welcome you to Indiana University!  The next four years are going to pass by in a blink but will stay with you for the rest of your life.  Now, I know that you are only a freshman, but it’s time to start preparing yourself for the real world as a business professional.  If you are freaked out by this, don’t read the rest, but instead take a read in a month or so.  And if your heart rate is still relatively stable at this point, do read on.
               
I came to Indiana University three years ago thinking that freshman year was a time to settle into the college culture and meet new friends, but it’s really much more than that.  I hadn’t really given much thought to my career or internships yet either.  But three weeks into the semester, my Dad gave me a call advising me to attend the Finance Career Fair.  I thought to myself, “Why would I go to a career fair?  Let alone a Finance career fair?  I’m a freakin’ Marketing major!”  After an intense but short internal debate, I put on my nicest shirt and dress shoes and walked down to the Union for the career fair.
           
Everyone in the room was probably much older than I and was wearing sharp business suits and carrying around padfolios holding their extensive resumes.  And here I stood with a bright orange folder with a not so impressive resume looking rather…”underdressed.”  With the word "Freshman" plastered on my forehead (figuratively of course), I took a deep breath and lined up to speak with a few companies.  To my surprise, recruiters were impressed that I had taken the initiative to come to the career fair as a freshman.  I walked away that day with a couple of business cards, tired feet and a dose of confidence.
               
Since that first career fair, I have attended at least 8 other career fairs, networked with countless recruiters, have obtained 14 interviews, have accepted 2 offers for internships, and…I was only on campus for two years!  I cannot thank my Dad enough for forcing me to go to that Finance Career Fair; it has truly made all the difference in the world.  And now, I advise YOU to go out to the career fairs, to attend networking events, to start building your resume, to start building relationships with career coaches at the Undergraduate Career Service Office, to start being a real business professional.  Because in this day and age, we all know that it’s a dog-eat-dog world out there.  So start sharpening your teeth, but have a little fun while you’re at it!

If you have any questions for me, feel free to email me at margli@indiana.edu.  I can’t wait for you to get your feet wet!

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment